There is always something warm and bright about this time of the year, when everything has a special glow! There is always something special about this time of the year when all our hearts are full of cheer!
Yes, the festival of lights is here… Diwali or Deepavali is the occasion which brings lots of love and laughter to fill our days with cheer and hope for something best to come!
The Monsoon Spice household is gearing up for this special occasion. The house is dusted, the vessels are scrubbed, the Diyas are glowing, and the kitchen is a hub of activities! We are hosting a Diwali party for our close friends and that can only mean one thing; fun, laughter and good food!
For the next couple of weeks, I will be posting the recipes of the delicious and exquisite food I am cooking for our friends. But for now here are some of the sweet/desserts that you can cook for your loved ones! While you are at it, don't forget to check the list of Simple and Easy Snack Recipes for Diwali to delight your taste buds!
Wishing you all a very Happy and Sparkling Deepavali!
Payasa/Kheer (Indian Pudding)
- Banana Rasayana -Vegan pudding of bananas in jaggary sweetened coconut milk
- Carrot Kheer/Payasam - Thick and creamy Indian pudding of carrots cooked in milk, flavoured with cardamoms and topped with crunchy cashew nuts
- Dates Payasa -Vegen pudding of dates in coconut milk flavoured with cardamoms
- Sabudana(Sagoo) Kheer/Payasa -Creamy pudding of sagu pearls in cardamom flavoured milk topped with cashews roasted in Desi ghee
- Semige Payasa/Semiya Kheer - Quick and easy vermicelli pudding flavoured with cardamom
- Vegan Avalakki (Flat Rice) Payasa -Vegan pudding of creamy flat/beaten rice in coconut milk flavoured with jaggary and cardamoms
Neivedyam (Offerings to God)
- Balehannu (Banana) Appam - Banana rice cakes sweetened with jaggary and flavoured with cardamoms
- Balehannu (Banana) Rasayana - Vegan pudding of bananas in jaggary sweetened coconut milk
- Genasale - Vegan rice cakes stuffed with cardamom flavoured jaggery and fresh grated coconut and wrapped in fresh banana leaves a steam cooked, a speciality from Udupi-Mangalore
- Panchakajjaya - Neivedyam for Lord Ganesha made using 5 ingredients; roasted split moong beans, ghee, coconut, jaggery and nuts
Halwa, Burfi & Mithai (Indian Sweets)
- 15 Minutes Microwave Doodh Peda/Milk Peda - A shortcut method to traditional Indian milk sweet meat cooked in a microwave
- Badam(Almond) Halwa - Sweet confection of almond flavoured with cardamom
- Gajar(Carrot) ka Halwa - An Indian carrot confection made made using milk, Desi ghee and dried nuts and fruits and flavoured with cardamom
- Gulab Jamun (With milk powder) - An Indian confection of deep fried spongy milk balls soaked in rose scented and cardamom flavoured sugar syrup
- Kaju Barfi/Burfi (Vegan) - An Indian confection of cashew candy squares, a Vegan recipe
- Kashi Halwa - Traditional Indian confection of ash gourd cooked in Desi ghee and topped with roasted cashew nuts
- Kesari Bhath (Suji ka Halwa) - Traditional Indian semolina pudding flavoured with cardamom and saffron
- Mysore Pak - Gram Flour/Chickpea Flour Fudge, Traditional sweet of Bengal gram flour, ghee and sugar flavoured with cardamom powder from Karnataka, a South Indian state
- Peanut Chikki/Brittle - Sweet vegan and refined sugar free treats of roasted peanuts and jaggery
- Pineapple Kesari Bhath (Suji ka Halwa) - Traditional Indian semolina pudding flavoured with pinapple and saffron
Laddu, Desserts and Other Special Occasion Sweets
- Aamras - A popular Gujarati/Maharashtrian/Rajasthani dish made using juicy mango pulp
- Crepes with Poached Pears - Creapes served with spiced and poached pears
- Kharjura/Dates Obbattu - Traditional sweet flat bread from Karnataka stuffed with cardamom flavoured date paste
- Mango Panna Cotta - Italian dessert of layered cream flavoured with vanilla and a Desi twist of mango flavoured with cardamoms
- Panasa Thonalu - Deep fried confection from Tamil Nadu coated with sugar syrup
- Rava Laddu/Suji ke Laddu - Saffron and cardamom flavoured roasted semolina sweet balls
- Saffron Nan Khatai - Eggless saffron flavoured cookies topped with cashew nuts
- Sweet Jowar - Jowar sweetened with jaggary