Learn how to make Simple Tomato Salad ~ Basic tomato salad with basil and lime and pepper dressing
I am not going to bore you today with my rants and rambles. Although my mind is bursting with thoughts, the words have abandoned me today as they refuse to flow at my fingertips which otherwise enjoy tap dancing on the keyboard! The exhaustion has finally overtaken my desire to share one of my most favourite recipes from the treasure chest of secret family recipes!
Simple Tomato Salad ~ Relishing the last of summer bounty!
Last week was both tiring and testing as Lil Dumpling fell ill. With sleepless nights and exhausting long days taking care of little child with severe cough and cold, there was hardly any time left to cook elaborate meals. On days like these simple and basic salads always comes to my rescue.
Simple Tomato Salad ~ From farm fresh produce
Today’s recipe of Simple and Basic Tomato Salad is something that you can prepare under 10 minutes. Since our town’s farmer’s market continues to sell last few batches of summer harvest, we ended up making this refreshingly light Tomato Salad to enjoy the last of summer bounty. All you need for this recipe are some juicy and sweet tomatoes and handful of ingredients. The salad dressing is as simple as it can get with basic ingredients that are readily available in most kitchen pantries. I have kept the dressing very simple as I wanted to compliment the sweet juiciness of raw tomatoes without overpowering. You can make this Simple Tomato Salad your own signature dish by adding or substituting the ingredients of your choice. If you love tomatoes, then do give this Simple Tomato Salad a try and let me know how you liked it. :)
Juicy tomatoes for salad
Fresh basil for salad
Simple Tomato Salad (Basic tomato salad with lime and pepper dressing)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: N/A
Recipe Level: Easy/Beginner
Spice Level: Low
Serves: 3-5 people
Shelf Life: Best served fresh
Serving Suggestion: As a light meal or as a side dish
2-3 large Tomatoes, sliced (I have used beefsteak tomatoes)
15-18 assorted Cherry Tomatoes, halved
2 packed cups assorted Salad Leaves
½ cup Fresh Basil Leaves
For Lime-Pepper Dressing:
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Lime Juice
¼-½ tsp White Pepper Powder (Adjust as per taste)
Salt to taste
Simple and Basic Tomato Salad
- Wash the salad leaves to remove the dirt and grit and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Set them aside until needed.
- Prepare the salad dressing by whisking extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, white pepper powder and salt to taste. Keep it aside until needed.
- To serve, spread the salad leaves in a large serving plate in a single layer. Then arrange the sliced heirloom tomatoes and then spread the halved cherry tomatoes so that they cover the platter. Tear the fresh basil leaves and spread them on top of tomatoes.
- Drizzle the salad dressing on top just before serving and enjoy this light and refreshing Simple Tomato Salad as a light meal.
Simple Tomato Salad ~ Basic tomato salad with basil and lime and pepper dressing
- You can also use thinly sliced red onion in this recipe.
- You can also add bowlful of cubed watermelons to the recipe along with little crumbled feta cheese to make a wholesome salad.