How to make Watermelon-Mint Limeade ~ Refreshing simple and quick summer drink made using watermelon, fresh mint and lime juice
Do you believe in miracles?
Do you want to hear some shocking news?
Psst... We are expecting heat waves here in the United Kingdom!!! There... I said it! ;)
Lil Dumpling’s favourite ~ A big slice of watermelon!
Yes, unbelievable but true. After what felt like longest winter and coldest spring, the sun god has decided to humor us not only with his presence but also with his scorching heat! I am sporting deep tan and it is impossible to leave the house without generously applying thick layer of sunscreen lotion! The clear blue skies, blazing sun, scorching heat, dry earth, warm breeze, dusty roads and parched throats are sure sign of arrival of Indian summer in Britain.
Watermelon-Mint Limeade ~ Thirst quencher
Already two weeks into my year long sabbatical leave, I am having the most wonderful time of my life! With Lil Dumpling for a company, we spent most part of our days outdoors playing and exploring the wonderland around us! We potter around our small garden in the morning blowing bubbles, digging mud, building sand castles in a makeshift sand pit, talking to honey bees, watching the creepy crawlies, and breathing the fresh air! Late afternoons are the time to cool ourselves by drenching each other with water pistols, running around screaming, watering the plants, and splashing water in the inflatable pool. Yes, water is our new best friend and we can't get enough of it!
Watermelon-Mint Limeade ~ Refreshing summer drink
To keep ourselves hydrated and our body cool, there is a steady flow of tall chilled glasses of fruit juices and smoothies along with ice lollies and ice creams. The pure joy of eating, licking or drinking something really cold on a very hot day is a pure bliss and we are making sure to enjoy this experience to the max! While our freezer is packed with ice lollies, choco bars, frozen fruits and tubs of ice creams, the fridge has steady supply of varieties of summer fruits and vegetables. After eating fruits to our heart’s content, the next best thing is to use them in juice or smoothies. One fruit that Lil Dumpling has been enjoying the most is the watermelon. Given a choice he would eat ‘what-a-melon’ for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Watermelon-Mint Limeade ~ To beat the heat
With high temperature and spending most of our days outdoors, we find ourselves reaching for the tall glass of chilled drinks. After drinking gallons of iced water, the next best thing to quench our thirst are some refreshing juices. One such drink is the Watermelon-Mint Limeade which I am addicted to these days. It was something my Amma used to make back in India by juicing the watermelon with couple of mint leaves and adding a dash of freshly squeezed lime juice. Instead of juicing the watermelon, I decided to cut them into small cubes so that Lil Dumpling gets to bite into them with every sip he takes. This Watermelon-Mint Limeade is wonderfully refreshing drink with the goodness of watermelon, mint and lime juice to keep our bodies cool and hydrated. You can give your own twist to the recipe by adding rock salt or black salt or crushed roasted cumin powder or even jaljeera powder to give it a Desi twist. Try it out and see falling in love with this wonderfully refreshing drink and don’t forget to thank me later. ;)
Ingredients for Watermelon-Mint Limeade
Freshly squeezed lime juice for Watermelon-Mint Limeade
Watermelon, mint leaves and lime juice for Watermelon-Mint Limeade
Watermelon-Mint Limeade (A refreshing sweet summer drink made using watermelon, fresh mint and lime juice)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: N/A
Recipe Level: Easy/Beginner
Spice Level: N/A
Serves: 4-5 people
Shelf Life: Best served fresh but can be refrigerated for upto 6-8 hours
Serving Suggestion: As a refreshing summer drink
1½ - 2 cups Watermelon, cut into 1 cm cubes
10-12 Mint Leaves, roughly chopped or torn with your fingers
1- 1½ Lime, juice extracted (Adjust as per taste)
½ - ¾ cup Sugar (Adjust as per taste)
5-6 cups Chilled/Iced Water
- Cut the watermelon into 1 cm cube pieces and pop it in the refrigerator to chill in an air tight container.
- Roughly chop or tear the mint leaves with fingers and lightly crush them in a mortar and pestle with a tsp of sugar.
- Squeeze or extract the juice from the lime and add it to the pitcher.
- Add the sugar, mint leaves, and water to the pitcher and mix them well until the sugar dissolves completely. Adjust the lime juice and sugar as per taste. Chill the watermelon pieces and limeade in fridge for ½ hour or until needed.
- To serve, take the glasses and fill it ⅓ rd with water melon pieces. You can strain the limeade to remove the mint leaves but I have left it on as we like to bite into them. Drop one or two ice cubes and pour in the limeade.
- Serve this delicious sip of Watermelon-Mint Limeade chilled and enjoy!
Watermelon-Mint Limeade ~ Refreshing summer drink
- You can replace lime juice with freshly squeezed lemon juice to make Watermelon-Mint Lemonade.
- You can strain the limeade to remove the mint leaves but I have left it on in ours as we like to bite into them.
- You can give your own twist to the recipe by adding rock salt or black salt or crushed roasted cumin powder or even jaljeera powder to give it a Desi twist.
- You can juice the watermelon pieces instead of using them as a pieces in the Watermelon-Mint Limeade.