Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges ~ Roasted Cumin Flavoued
I had major plans for Easter break! A trip to pet farm for Lil Dumpling followed by a canal side walk to show little duckies following their Mamma ducks and then visit to local library with some spring and summer wardrobe shopping thrown in! Thursday evening I left the office little early, eagerly looking forward to spend next four days with my two men outside in open air, breathing fresh air and creating new sweet memories along…
Guilt-free indulgence ~ Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges
Come Friday and I woke up to grey skies, heavily laid with dark clouds. I knew the weather forecasts were not good for the next few days but I was still hoping they would turn false! Alas, it was not the case… The sky never looked gloomier and the pittar-patter of raindrops falling rhythmically on window frame steadily gained the tempo. Soon they sky opened its doors wide, followed by flashing lights and loud thunderbolts, washing away my idyllic plans for the weekend with it! I could see my plans fluttering away with the rain and wind, just like the delicate petals of tulips in our garden torn by the torrential rain and wind! I sighed with disappointment and turned to look at my sweet Lil Dumpling sitting on the floor and playing with his little racing cars making appropriate noises.
At the same time looked at me with his soulful eyes, as if by sensing my disappointment, and slowly got up from his play corner. His favourite toys were left discarded on the floor as he came and sat on my lap and planted big drooly kiss on my cheeks. We sat there, right next to the large floor to ceiling window, opening to Juliet balcony in our living room looking at the raindrops tapping the window glass…
We sat there… a moment turned to seconds, seconds to minutes… And yet my super active Lil Dumpling didn’t budge from his place. As the wind gained momentum and the tress in front yard swayed to pouring rain and gusty wind, Lil Dumpling turned around and sat hugging close to my heart. Slowly we got lost in the wild beauty of Mother Nature and I felt our breath and heart beat match one another. And at that time I was taken back on time machine to my pregnancy days where my bundle of joy was still inside my tummy. I re-lived the moments of pure joy when both our hearts beat at same time, his inside my tummy and mine closer to his body! All that disappointment I felt for bad weather spoiling my plans washed away with rain, cascading down from the roof top and kissing the green grass blades in the garden… A slow smile formed on my face with so much love gushing from my heart! Lil Dumpling must have felt that love too as he looked away from rain to give his brightest and special smile just for me… And that smile saved my weekend from becoming total disaster!Some people just know how to make you feel good! :)
Grab one ~ Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges
I thanked him by making these Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges as Lil Dumpling LOVES potato wedges. And after making these at home, I may never go back to serving him store brought frozen Potato Wedges any more! They are seriously simple to make and absolute delight to eat. It turned out to be our perfect snack to munch on for rainy Easter break with a cup of hot coffee. I have used roasted and crushed cumin seeds for flavouring this time and kept the salt level to very low. But soon I’ll be making big batch of these Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges with different flavours and some of the flavours I have in mind are spicy chilli powder/paprika, Mexican spice blend, Tandori Masala, Chaat Masala and others which uses fresh and dried herbs like Rosemary, Thyme, etc. Oh, you will be spoiled for choices. And the best thing is they are easy to freeze and can be enjoyed as and when required. So what are you waiting for? Go and make a batch of these delightful Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges for you and your loved ones :)
Potatoes for Oven Roasted Potato Wedges
5-10 minutes in boiling water and are ready for roasting in an oven
A dash of roasted and crushed cumin seeds
Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges ~ Before Roasting
Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges ~ After Roasting
Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges (Simple and quick way to make low fat cumin flavoured potato wedges roasted in an oven)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Roasting Time: 15 mins
Recipe Level: Easy/Beginner
Spice Level: Low
Serves: 4-5 people
Shelf Life: Best served fresh but can be frozen for up to 2-3 weeks
Serving Suggestion: As an appetizer/starter or as a side dish with Soups or Burgers
4 medium Potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1½ - 2 tbsp Olive Oil
¼ - ½ tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds, roasted and crushed in pestle and mortar
¼ tsp Sea Salt (Adjust acc to taste)
Quick, simple and low fat recipe ~ Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato WedgesMethod:
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add salt to it. Switch off the flame once the water comes to boil.
- While the water is boiling, cut the potato in middle length-wise and cut each halves into thick wedges.
- Transfer the wedges into pot of boiled water and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line the baking tray with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- Drain all the water from potato wedges. Make sure that there is no water left in a pot.
- Drizzle olive oil and roasted crushed cumin seeds to the potato wedges and gently mix them well so that every wedge is coated with olive oil and spice mix.
- Arrange the wedges on lined baking tray in single layer and place the tray in mid-rack in preheated oven.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take out the tray and flip the wedges over. Put the tray back in the oven and let it roast for another 5 to 7 minutes until the edges turn golden brown and crisp.
- Serve these Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges with tomato sauce/ketchup or any other dip of your choice and enjoy!
All you need is little bit of Tomato Ketchup and good company!
- You can use any flavouring of your choice ranging from simple paprika, chilli flakes, chaat masala, Mexican spice mix etc to aromatic dried or fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, Italian seasonings etc.
- A very simple Mint Raita is one of my favourite dips to serve with these Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges.
- Roasting time in oven may vary from one brand to another and also depends on the type of oven used. So increase or decrease the time taken for roasting depending on the type of oven used.
- To freeze these Low Fat Oven Roasted Potato Wedges, simply put them in a zip lock bag and store them in a freezer for up to 3 weeks. When needed, place them on lined baking sheet in single layer and pop them in an oven at 180 deg C for about 7-10 minutes.